Friday, January 15, 2010

My heart is broken...but not for long


I have been overwhelmed the past few days with the constant media coverage of the earthquake in Haiti. My heart breaks every time I see images of the devastation there, but in the same respect something deep down inside me feels a sense of hope and happiness. I know that sounds sick and twisted, but please hear me out. One way that I clear my mind and come acquainted with my constantly jumbled thoughts is to take walks. As I have walked through midtown the past few evenings I have seen people (who normally would not be talking) coming together to discuss this tragedy. I have heard stories of loss and healing. I have watched people from all different religious/spiritual beliefs join hands (and resources) to reach out to those they do not even know. This past holiday season I became a bit disgusted with the materialistic, selfish attitudes of our nation and society. These past few weeks I was reminded of the goodness of people and the blessings I feel living in such a diverse and socially conscious place like midtown. So, please forgive me for feeling a little bit of hope in the midst of this disaster. I am holding on to it with every image I see in the newspaper or on TV, because without this hope our world will never heal. If we keep having discussions and putting others before ourselves Haiti will heal and so will mankind.
With Love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment